Monday, September 22, 2008

Steps To Take While Travelling With Your Pets

Make sure you meet up the following steps before taking your pet on vacation. Bellow are the steps;
FIRST; Get microchip For Your Pet.
Microchip is an integrated circuit placed under the skin of your pet and it needs to meet International Standard Organization criterion and the 11784 specifications or annex A of ISO standards 11 785. Every pet has an identification number that everybody can read. Remember , if the vet microchip fails, it won't be allowed to travel so it is very important.
SECOND; Vaccination
You need to vaccinate your pet against rabies. The disease that causes inflammation of the brain. The vaccination should be done after the pet have been microchipped. Make sure that the vet read the microchip number and record it in your pet vaccination record. All the information concerning your pet such as the date of birth, the date when the microchip implanted and the location of the microchip, the date of vaccination, the vaccine product name, the batch number, and the date the booster vaccination is due must be recorded.
You should wait for at least 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination before
taking your pet to European countries. Booster vaccination will be required regularly, the date will be written by the vet in the vaccination record.
THIRD; EU Passport For Your Pet
You should obtain EU passport issued by the Local Veterinary Inspector.Make sure you take your dog with you, with its vaccination record and the blood test results if possible. The EU pet passport is accepted by all European Union countries. Which includes your pet microchip number, the date of the microchip and the record of the rabies vaccination. A blood test is required to enter countries like the UK, Malta, Sweden and Ireland.
FOURTH;For Sweden, your pet must be treated for tapeworms from 1 -10 days before you enter Sweden.But not required when travellng directly from UK to Ireland. Tapeworms are parasites found in cat and dog intestines.
FINALY; Check the requirement from the embassy of the country that you want to enter .Also you can research the local veterinarians' offices before you leave for your holiday .

No comments: